When interviewing for leadership or management roles, it’s common to be asked to create and deliver a presentation as part of the interview process. This presentation assesses your ability to think critically, organize ideas, demonstrate business strategy acumen, communicate effectively, and conduct research under pressure. Here are some tips to help you develop and refine your presentation for such interviews:
1. Understand the Expectations:
- Carefully read the interview invitation to understand the specific requirements for the presentation.
- Revert to the job description and person specification to stay within the scope of the role and competencies required.
2. Structure Your Presentation:
- Start with a title slide that includes the role or presentation task.
- Create an overview slide outlining the key points you will cover.
- Develop main body slides to address each focus area in the prompt.
- Include a conclusion slide that briefly restates key points and your suitability for the role.
3. Provide Examples:
- Back up your points with relevant examples from your experience.
- Keep these examples brief since presentations are typically limited to 10-15 minutes.
- Avoid veering off-topic and focus on addressing the task at hand.
4. Show Real-World Application:
- Present your ideas and strategies as if you’re already part of the team.
- For instance, if discussing an action plan, include estimated completion dates and explain how it might impact other aspects of the business based on your research.
5. Create Visually Appealing Slides:
- Use a visually appealing design for your presentation.
- Align the color scheme with the prospective employer’s brand colors.
- Explore templates available in presentation tools like PowerPoint and Canva.
- Make the presentation clean, crisp, professional, high-quality, and engaging.
6. Use Design Tools:
- Utilize design tools, such as the “Designer” tool in PowerPoint, to enhance the visual appeal of your presentation.
- Experiment with different design ideas related to your template and content.
By following these tips, you can effectively prepare and deliver a compelling presentation during your interview for a leadership or management role. Remember to stay focused on the task at hand and align your presentation with the job requirements and competencies outlined in the job description.