#sports Angry Edson Alvarez is told he is NOT leaving Ajax for Chelsea in a meeting with club bosses

#sports Angry Edson Alvarez is told he is NOT leaving Ajax for Chelsea in a meeting with club bosses

#sports Angry Edson Alvarez is told he is NOT leaving Ajax for Chelsea in a meeting with club bosses

Table of Contents

Angry Edson Alvarez is told he is NOT leaving Ajax for Chelsea in a meeting with club bosses – because the Dutch transfer window is already closed and they’ve lost too many players – as his £43m ‘dream’ move risks collapse

  • Chelsea submitted a £43m bid for the Edson Alvarez on Wednesday night 
  • Reports suggest midfielder refused to train on Thursday to push through move 
  • But Dutch reports now suggest Ajax have told the Mexican he cannot leave 
  • Alvarez was reportedly left furious some ex-team-mates and been allowed to go 

A furious Edson Alvarez has reportedly been told his proposed move from Ajax to Chelsea has been blocked by the Eredivisie champions.

The Blues submitted a £43million bid for the defensive midfielder on Wednesday and reports earlier on Thursday suggested the 24-year-old refused to train with the Dutch giants in order to push through a move.

But Dutch outlet De Telegraaf claim in a meeting with Ajax technical manager Gerry Hamstra and ex-striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar – another member of the technical staff – Alvarez was told in no uncertain terms he would not be allowed to depart.

Edson Alvarez is furious after reportedly being told he cannot leave Ajax for Chelsea

Edson Alvarez is furious after reportedly being told he cannot leave Ajax for Chelsea

The Blues submitted a £43million bid for the defensive midfielder on Wednesday night

The Blues submitted a £43million bid for the defensive midfielder on Wednesday night

The meeting is said to have taken place in the presence of Alvarez’s Dutch agent Fulco van Kooperen too, where the pair were told Ajax will not negotiate with the west London side because the Dutch transfer market closed on Wednesday night.

Ajax therefore cannot sign a replacement, and already feel boss Alfred Schreuder has lost too many players this summer.

The Dutch have sold both Antony and Lisandro Martinez to United, Sebastian Haller to Borussia Dortmund, Ryan Gravenberch to Bayern Munich and Nicolas Tagliafico to Lyon.

But Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (centre) and Gerry Hamstra (right) have told him he is not leaving

But Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (centre) and Gerry Hamstra (right) have told him he is not leaving

The pair feel news boss Alfred Schreuder has already lost too many players this summer

The pair feel news boss Alfred Schreuder has already lost too many players this summer

The report adds a fuming Alvarez – who repeatedly insisted on being allowed to move to the Premier League – hit back at Hamstra and Huntelaar, telling them he found it unfair how players were allowed to secure high-profile moves this summer but that he was being refused one. 

Alvarez is desperate to move to Chelsea as he fears the chance to move to the club may not arise again. 

He can earn more than 50 million euros in five seasons in the Premier League and sees Chelsea as one of his dream clubs.  

Alvarez reportedly has not completely given up hope of joining Thomas Tuchel’s men before the transfer window slams shut at 11pm. 

Antony became the latest high-profile Ajax departure after his £85.5m move to Man United was confirmed

Antony became the latest high-profile Ajax departure after his £85.5m move to Man United was confirmed

A £43m (€50m) transfer would make Alvarez the fourth most expensive player in Ajax history after Antony, Frenkie de Jong, Matthijs De Ligt and Martinez.

Chelsea have made their move amid injuries to N’Golo Kante and Ruben Loftus-Cheek while Mateo Kovacic is just returning to fitness. 

They have rebuffed offers for Conor Gallagher so far with over seven Premier League clubs showing interest, including Aston Villa and Crystal Palace. 

Advertisement

Leave a Comment